Thursday, July 21, 2005

Chapter 4

So I went back to college, having been baptized in a swimming pool by the pastor of this little group in Oneonta. It hadn't been the best experience, so I kept my faith a secret a preceded to have a typical Senior year.

I had no brilliant plans for a career, and people I knew were heading to Boston, so I did too. I wasn't exactly a poster child for the "Me" generation of the early 80's......I had no idea what I would do to keep body and soul together. Eventually I found myself a job down town and an apartment, and a few contacts in the ministry "Jews For Jesus". (They had a Boston office then) .

It was through them that I found myself at a big "nondenominational" church in the suburbs occasionally, and started actually learning something about being a Christian. I also bumped into my boss there which was a shock and a surprise, and i blurted out " I didn't know you were a Christian!"..oops......

But it's all very boring until I decided to move to London.As I said, I had no idea how to earn a living besides waitressing, and being an artist, I thought it would be great to work at Sotheby's....So I took off to London, with very little money and enrolled in a course on antiques, where I learned several things:

I learned that in England anything "Georgian" is more desirable than anything Victorian, I learned that In Europe, unlike in the States, if it was considered junk when it was first made, it is still considered junk, not a "Collectible".And I also learned that London (and my course) was full of wealthy Eurotrash, with money to burn and nothing to do, unlike me....I was waitressing at "The Goat in Boots" pub, where I also learned that the British don't tip!

But the good news is, strictly through serendipity and some serious prayer, I met my future husband.I can't tell you too much about his family because in their fish bowl, they are fairly well known, but needless to say, they weren't exactly prepared for their fine, eligible son to marry a working class Jewish holy roller. But 9 months after we met we were married at Holy Trinity Brompton, ground zero for the Alpha Course.....


You see, in England, sometimes when your pastor marries into a wealthy family, your church gets lucky and you get a fancy retreat house in the country....


We were "present at the creation" of the Alpha Course, which in typical British Middle Class fashion, started out as " Evangelical Supper Parties" ( say it in your finest British accent)....Can you imagine?

Now, all this British "class awareness" was taking its toll on me, and I discovered a "Messianic Fellowship" which was meeting in North London, ....a place which no self respecting "F.O.D" (Friend Of Diana) would set foot. So I insisted we attend, and off we went to a now long gone place in Finchley, called "The House Of Rest", where I can honestly say I loved the teaching, the humility, the music.... and the Jews there. It was a good place for me, and my new husband grew to love it as well.

To be continued..........